Check out our guide on everything you need to know about Airbnb Wedding Venues in Georgia + a directory of our favorites for your elopement!
Airbnb Wedding Venues in Georgia | What you need to know
One of the things we love the most about helping couples get married at an Airbnb is that it can feel like a blend of “home” and a luxury wedding venue all at the same time.
You get the privacy of a wedding venue without the extreme cost, plus it doubles as your home base for your elopement day too.
However there are three key things to remember when considering an Airbnb for a wedding venue:
- Airbnb owners generally don’t understand how to handle weddings. With a few exceptions, most are property owners who are just used to renting to vacationers. You cannot expect the same kind of “venue coordinator” service from an Airbnb like you would a traditional wedding venue. So you’re going to need help planning your wedding day or expect to do a LOT of DIY.
- Don’t expect to have a large wedding at an Airbnb. Vacation rental homes are best suited for small, intimate weddings – or an elopement for two. Once you get above 15-20 guests, you are getting into the range of needing to rent an actual wedding venue.
- Ask for permission. Don’t try to fly under the radar when trying to use an Airbnb as a wedding venue. Property owners are expecting couples or families as their renters, and not a big party. Make sure you explain to them your intended use before booking!
There are even more details to consider, but not worry! We are here to help you put all of this together!
Airbnb Wedding Venues in Georgia | How we help you select the right one
At StoryBright Films, we are definitely known for our expertise in planning and photographing adventure elopements. But we are also experts in planning intimate weddings at vacation homes too! There is a lot of overlap in planning these kinds of experiences and we have you covered either way.
Here are some of the top tips we use when we work with couples who are looking at booking an Airbnb for their elopement.
- Vacation rental homes in North Georgia are extremely popular – so plan ahead. We keep tabs on all the data trends for vacation rentals in the area and we can definitely tell you that peak season rentals go fast – like a year ahead, especially for the fall! If you are in love with a romantic Airbnb getaway, you will need to get on their calendar many months ahead.
- Don’t assume a property will photograph well. Talk to us first! One of the ways we like to explain this is that a cozy wood cabin tucked away in the woods might look amazing for a stay, but how light is the interior? Some of the more dated properties out there have small windows and dark-toned wood interiors. If you want the best photography for your wedding day, we would avoid these kinds of cabins.
- Think about the spaces you will use in the Airbnb. For example, if you are eloping as a couple with no guests, you might assume a 1 bedroom treehouse would work fine. This is a mistake that we want to help you avoid! If you are using one room as the bedroom, then are there other spaces available to have a clutter free area for photography? If you want to get ready separately and have a first look, where will each of these moments occur? When in doubt, rent a house with one extra room than you think + one that has a sitting room or extra living area, for example.
- Consider the outdoor spaces in your elopement plans. The kind of elopements and small weddings we help couples plan focus on outdoor time. That means weather could be a factor – what aspects of the Airbnb would be very useful if it rains? Is there a large deck, a gazebo, or other kind of sheltered space for everyone to use?
- What other activities do you want to have nearby? Many couples we work with like to have their day planned out to where they have an “excursion” nearby their Airbnb. For example, hiking to a mountain top at sunrise, or experiencing an epic waterfall. Check out our post Places to Elope in Georgia for more tips!
Free Download: Elopement Budget Spreadsheet
General tips when choosing from Airbnb wedding venues in Georgia
Here are some more general things to think about when you are looking at renting an Airbnb for your wedding day!
- Some Airbnbs allow weddings and others don’t. If in doubt – ask the owners. We can help you with tips on wording this the right way so they don’t assume you are having a big 100 person wedding on the property (and if you are thinking about this – just don’t. Please rent a real venue).
- Decide on your guest count. This is REALLY important and a significant factor sometimes on if it’s feasible to rent an Airbnb for your wedding day. The best rule of thumb is to rent a place that accommodates the same # of guests you intend to have present. Don’t assume a large house can handle more than is stated, many times properties just don’t have the parking available.
- Think about proximity to other vacation rentals. If you are able to have your wedding day at an Airbnb with more guests than it accommodates, you’ll need to find other places relatively nearby for others to stay at.
- Consider catering options for a mini-reception. Often it works out really well to have catering at your vacation home for a reception. Look at the logistics of accommodating these vendors. Are you close enough to a city/town where wedding caterers can deliver? Or maybe a local restaurant? Or will a family member be willing to pick up the food and bring it back? (we can help you answer all of these questions as we keep a list of vetted vendors for catering elopements)
- Does the Airbnb have the equipment you need, or will you need to rent? Sometimes property owners keep spare tables and other items for family gatherings. Ask about this! It can be super convenient so you can simply add some tablecloths and wedding decor. If this is not available, you’ll need to think about renting and who nearby can provide what you need.
- Think about arriving well before / departing well after your elopement day. All the preparation leading up to your wedding and the day itself will take a lot of energy! We usually recommend arriving at least one additional day prior to your elopement day, and leaving more than one day afterwards. For example, if you are planning a Saturday elopement, arrive at your Airbnb on Thursday and leave on Monday if possible.
What to ask yourself before planning a Georgia Airbnb Wedding
To this point we’ve talked about some of the ins and outs of Airbnb wedding venues in Georgia, but let’s take a step back and see if this idea is a good fit for you. Here are some questions to think about:
- Are you certain about your guest count? We’ve said this already like 2-3 times but we can’t understate it. If you are looking at anything above 15-20, you really need to look at booking a traditional wedding venue.
- Are you willing to be the site coordinator for your wedding? As we mentioned previously, airbnbs are not operated like wedding venues so you cannot expect on-site support for your day. We actually do not recommend at all that you try and plan this on your own – that’s why we’re here! Let us take the task of coordination off of your shoulders – you’ll be glad you did!
- Are you sure of your budget? Booking just the right Airbnb for your wedding will vary a lot for cost. You can save a lot of money over the cost of a big wedding venue, but at the same time don’t expect to book a cabin for $100/night and have it meet all your needs.
Contact Us about Your Elopement
Airbnb wedding venues in Georgia | What’s the average cost?
Weddings these days for large traditional events cost from $30,000 to $50,000 and up! In contrast, you can usually rent a beautiful, large home with space for an outdoor ceremony and many bedrooms for accommodations for about $300-$500/night, depending on the location. Some exquisite homes with views and/or land will be more, upwards of $1000/night. However in comparison to a big wedding this is still far less expensive!
A selection of beautiful Airbnb Wedding Venues in Georgia
Below is a list we’ve curated of the many places available to rent in the North Georgia mountains. These are close to other amazing places to experience, and may be a good fit whether you intend to have your event on site or have your ceremony at an epic mountain top or waterfall nearby. Get in touch with us for your elopement and we will make personalized recommendations for you for location and places to stay!
Treehouse Airbnb rentals
The ATL Treehouse with hot tub/ heated space.
Romantic treehouse close to Atlanta!
Whippoorwill Retreat Treehouse.
Fairytale treehouse located near Cloudland Canyon!
The Sassafras Treehouse.
Also near Cloudland Canyon. Incredible views!
Free Download: Elopement Budget Spreadsheet
A-frame Airbnb rentals
Relaxing A-Frame Blairsville.
Enchanting cabin tucked away in the woods near Blue Ridge, Georgia.
A-Frame Creekfront Cabin.
Hot tub and on the river too!
Cozy Creek Cabin
Beautiful creekside couples retreat with a hot tub!
AFrame of Style
Super unique A-frame cabin with a bright interior and beautiful steps leading down to the river. Near Blue Ridge Georgia!
Luxurious cabins / large houses
Luxe Alpine Cabin
Just have a look at where the hot tub is and all the great views!
Falling Waters Lodge
Over 5000 sq ft home on 3 acres – plenty of space & on the lake too!
Luxe, Serene and Unique
A blend of modern, rustic with a little bit of a treehouse vibe too. Amazing!
New Modern Boho Escape
Huge covered entrance deck & hot tub too!
Ready to get your plans started at an Airbnb wedding venue in Georgia?
It is definitely a lot to think about when deciding on the right place to have your wedding. It’s a big event so you’ll want to make sure all the details are covered before you book!
Our suggestion – reach out to us and let’s chat! We are experts in crafting beautiful wedding days in intimate settings, whether they are adventure elopements or at unique Airbnbs. We are here to help you every step of the way so you can rest assured everything is taken care of and you can experience a stress-free and dreamy day. We’re excited to hear from you!
Mark & Carolyn