Looking for the best places to propose in North Carolina? Here is our step by step guide for everything you need to know!
First – we’ll say that we’ve written this guide from the perspective of the guy (since statistically the vast majority of proposals are initiated by the boyfriend). But if you’re coming from the women’s perspective and want to take the initiative, we definitely have tips for you too!
Best Places to Propose In North Carolina – Do This First
Think about how to create an awesome experience for her
Our biggest tip of all is to think about your proposal not as just a moment in time, but as an experience that you want to create all around her. Make this experience more about her, and not you.
Think of it as perhaps a whole day – where you lead up to that one moment of asking her to be yours.
Guys, we cannot emphasize this next point enough. Your future wife will DIG the fact that you put so much effort into impressing her. So put your best foot forward.
Brainstorm on your own or with her best friend. Write down the things you know she loves, what she loves to do, and you’ll start to see a theme emerge for how the day will go.
Here’s an example timeline example to help you get started:
- Take a day trip or an overnight to your favorite mountain town
- Spend the day together exploring the area sharing your favorite activities
- Plan on a hike or a drive to a gorgeous sunset spot
- Pack a picnic to share as you watch sunset
- Pop the question during golden hour!
Next: talk to a knowledgeable, local photographer about your plans
Many of the “how to propose” guides out there put this step towards the end (hiring a photographer). But here is where they get it wrong – finding the perfect spot to propose takes a lot more than researching on your own online.
Great locations may look good in general but it takes a local to really know what unique spot in that area will work well for you.
For example, consider that you may want to propose in privacy without onlookers. (We’ve seen many proposals in public result in random strangers taking your photo/video and posting it online – do you want that to happen)?
To have privacy, you’ll want to find a spot that is not covered with tourists.
That means speaking to a local expert that can help guide you through the logistics of timing your proposal just right, and to help you come up with a “story” so you can keep it a secret from your future bride until the right time.
The specialist you’ll want to seek out for your proposal in the great outdoors is an elopement photographer. They are very different from regular engagement or wedding photographers because they are intimately aware of the best outdoor spots. This is because the best spots for adventure elopements work just as well for proposals too.
Once you are in touch with an elopement photographer about your plans, share your vision with them. They are used to planning meaningful experiences for couples with lots of different options in play, and they can help you decide how to create a beautiful proposal day for your soon-to-be fiance.
Planning an epic proposal: Step by step
- As we said before, talk to an experienced photographer in the “adventure” niche. These days that’s more well known as an “elopement photographer.”
- Lean on your photographer’s knowledge of the area to choose a location, and then a particular spot at that location. Have a backup plan in case where you want to go is crowded.
- Put your heart and soul into making a proposal plan that is focused on what she would like, that fits her personality and desires. Even if things don’t work out exactly according to how you planned, she will LOVE you for all that you did, or tried, to do.
- Choose the right date. Again, lean on your photographer’s expertise to know the best season, day and time to work around other tourists, weather, etc.
- Decide on the time of day for your proposal. Your photographer will have plenty of input here for lighting, privacy, and other factors.
- The ring. You’ve been shopping for a ring, right?
- Feeling traditional? Talk to her parents first. Even better – get them in on the plan so you can pull off the ruse perfectly.
- Wear something she will LOVE to see you in. Pro tip: Say you want to have professional photos taken together because all you have is phone selfies of you together. Or say that a pro photographer wants to hire both of you to model in a session for them. This will obscure the real fact as to why you have a photographer along and lead her to naturally dress up too!
- Think about what you are going to say beforehand. Recall the story of how you met, or tell her when you first fell in love with her.
- Get organized with your photographer on how to plan it all perfectly so you’re just in the right spot together.
- POP THE QUESTION!
- If you’re going to kneel, get down on the knee that is opposite your dominant hand (left knee if you are right handed).
- Hold the ring out for her to see (not in the box).
- Look into her eyes, hold her hand, and speak from your heart.
- When she says YES – put the ring on her left hand.
Are you looking to plan an epic proposal? Get in touch with us today!
Best places to propose in North Carolina – ideas to get you started!
Below we’ve listed some of our favorite areas in the NC mountains that would work great for a proposal! There are many great spots in these areas that we’ve cataloged over the years of shooting adventure elopements – reach out to us to get all the details!
Blue Ridge Parkway – One of the Best Places to Propose in North Carolina
Stretching from the Virginia border to the Smoky Mountains at the Tennessee border, the Blue Ridge Parkway has no shortage of epic views that are easily accessible via car.
Many of the overlooks are right next to the road so there is very little privacy, but we know all the best ones that are a little further away from the noise of cars so you can have your moment alone!
There are also many hiking trails off of the Parkway where – if you’re willing to hike a mile or so, you can get away from onlookers and have that perfect spot together.
The Parkway offers options for everyone. Lush rhododendron gardens, wildflower blooms in mountain meadows, open views for miles or craggy rocky peaks are just a few of what’s out there. Get in touch and we’d love to fill you in on all the details!
Pisgah National Forest
If you want to explore a bit further into the forest and mountain peaks, the lands of Pisgah offer so much for experiencing mountain peaks and waterfalls too. Maybe you want to really get away from crowds on the Parkway and hike to a spot to be all alone. We’d love to show you where these locations are!
Mountain top balds, high elevation evergreen forests, epic tall waterfalls and secluded swimming holes are just a few of the spots waiting for you.
Nantahala National Forest
Less visited than Pisgah but no less epic, Nantahala offers seclusion due to being more remote than Pisgah – no interstates touch this National Forest. Nearby towns of Franklin, Highlands and more offer a more cozy experience than the big city of Asheville.
Nantahala can take a bit more effort to reach, but the reward is in feeling like escaping together to your own world.
Dupont State Forest
If you love waterfalls, Dupont is amazing. It can be crowded on weekends and peak season, so choose your date and time carefully!
Mount Mitchell State Park
Not too far from Asheville and a short drive off of the Blue Ridge Parkway, Mount Mitchell is the highest peak east of the Mississippi. If you want to be on the tallest peak around when you propose, this is the place to be!
The observation platform is a popular place for visitors so you’ll want to plan well to avoid peak times.
Looking for the best places to propose in North Carolina? Get in touch!
As elopement photographers for the Blue Ridge Mountains, we have lots of experience helping couples experience epic days together in the outdoors.
If you are serious about showing her an amazing time for your proposal day, reach out today and we’d love to show you the way!